Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Going Digital...HELP

I'm looking for some advice and help! What do you all do with your millions of digital pictures? Before, it was boxes of negatives but I at least limited the amount of pictures I took. Now, it is just so easy to click click click and hard to erase. I'll print some or use them for various projects but I just don't want to lose them. I assume I should clear them off my hard drive but then I'm affraid I'll want some of the old ones for a montage or some other quick project and don't want to hunt through the CD's to find them. However, at times it takes a few minutes to find the one I may be looking for on my computer since there are so many to go through. As soon as you start looking for the picture I begin heading down memory and well we all know where that takes you. In addition, I'm just not sure how to organize them. I'll begin to name some but they seem to get shoved into some alphabetical order by doing so and are intermixed with the numbered ones and I begin to feel like I have too many folders. I just feel overwhelmed and I know I sound pathetic. Why do we all have such cute kids that are so fun to take pictures of? This digital world almost makes it more difficult for me. I feel more and more behind and neither one of my girls have a scrapbook. So all of you out there who are up to date on logging your kids lives I give you a HUGE pat on the back and I'm ready to hire you! I keep thinking I will start when they are older and I can find some free time but who am I kidding. I guess at this point I should just hand them a stack of CD's with their pictures on them. So if you have any tips on where to begin or how you organize your digital pictures send them my way. I hope all of this rambling made some sense. This is the current project on my mind right now as I'm trying to clear my memory card off for an upcoming family reunion and just wonder if I should keep downloading all these pictures onto my computer.

4 comments:

TJ said...

Good question on how to deal with TONS of digital pictures. I have a hard time organizing them all too. I don't know if you've heard of a program called Picasa. It's made by Google and it's free. I've used it for awhile now to help organize my pictures and I like it. Here's a link to it if you're interested:
http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

hoday said...

No joke, i have too many too! Now add an old computer that has about 2k pics on it. How do I get those off and organized with my new ones? I can't even think about it or I just get overwhelmed.

Flinders Family said...

Kay, this is what I do...At the end of every year, I make a little "family yearbook" with shutterfly, blurb, or My Publisher or whatever. There are tons of options. Then, all of my pictures for that year go in a folder and on a disk labeled 2006 or 2007 or whatever year it's from. During the current year, all of my pictures go in a folder labeled July 2008, or whatever month it's from. Anyway, that is what works for me. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Laina said...

You can do what Bex says...label through out the year as July 2008 or whatever month you are in. Then I always upload them into kodak gallary. Its free and you can go to it from any computer ANYWHERE and see your pics. You can also send the link to anyone. So lets say you go on a trip and upload the pics to kodak. Label it "trip" (example haha) and then you want to send them all to your parents. Just Click on the album and type their email (which is then saved for later) and bam! its sent to them! That simple! I love it. It then organizes ALL your albums by itself into the year and month. Hope that helps!